Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How can I stop my cream puffs from deflating?

Whenever I make cream puffs (croquembouche, eclair, choux pastry etc) The dough rises and looks beauty, then when I take it out of the oven they turn into pancakes. I wait for them to cool mostly in the oven, and there are no drafts or anything around!How can I stop my cream puffs from deflating?
missopin --- You say your puffs rise and look beautifull so i assume you are using the correct temperature. I suggest that when they Begin to color lower the temperature 20 or 25 degrees at a time until


you reach 250*F then turn oven off and wait


for the oven to cool down before taking them out of oven. It sounds to me that your flour isn't strong enough. When I made cream puffs and eclairs I used bread flour.


And I never ran into the problem you are having, but I used ammonia bicarbonate as the leavening agent.The suggestion above is if you are using all purpose flour. If you are using bread flour it must be in the leavening agent. Talk to your local baker and ask if they would sell you a small amount of


ammonia bicarbonate. But don't smell it up close it will take your breath away. Most


bakers use it for cream puffs, eclairs, and sugar cookies. I hope this helps you.


jim b


PS. If you can find this levening you want have to remove the center there will be very little center to remove.How can I stop my cream puffs from deflating?
maybe you need to try a new kind of flour or put it in the freezer
Maybe it's the humidity. If it's too humid it will deflate them.
Cook them longer in the oven. If your oven is not well vented the steam that is created in the oven while the puffs are cooking will cause the puff to soften. Good Luck





Mark
Try baking them a little longer. Also, with a thin knife, make a slit in the side of each puff to allow the air to escape. Place them back in the oven for a few minutes to crisp a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment