Saturday, December 26, 2009

What is a good cream to have around the barn for minor cuts and scrapes?

What do you use when your horse gets cuts?


Preferably something that can be purchased through Dover!What is a good cream to have around the barn for minor cuts and scrapes?
Corona. My horse cut his foot at a local show. Corona did the trick.





http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp鈥?/a>








WHOEVER put a thumbs down on ALL the corona answers. Isnt that a bit childish?What is a good cream to have around the barn for minor cuts and scrapes?
Good old fashioned Neosporin. Just read the ingredients and make sure your horse doesn't have an allergy to it: your vet should know. I recommend the Neosporin that does not have pain reliever: it's just extra thrown in that can cause an allergic reaction in your horse if there's something in there you miss. It works every time for me: my quarter horse fell and scraped up his hocks.. This had them scabbed up and healing in no time !





Edit: You can pick it up at the nearest pharmacy, too. Not hard to find !
i use neosporin if it is a cut and I like (I know it sounds funny but ) preperation H for scrapes it heals and helps the hair grow back faster it also works for scours and helps minimize old scars also for hair to grow back faster after wound has healed good old wd 40 works
Liquid Wound Care. It works for minor cuts, even bleeding fly bites, but also works with larger things, like bites from other horses and things like that. It also works for fungus and infections.
We always used Nitrofurazone for healing cuts. It might be called Furazone or something similar, and is found at your local tack store. If you want it online, check out this link:


http://www.horse.com/products/sku-BCL80.鈥?/a>
Fura-zone (sp?) mixed with Adolf's meat tenderizer (no kidding!). Prevents infection AND proud flesh.
Seems as though most use Corona, myself included.
ichthammol dressing is great... draws out the pus and infection.





swat for wounds repels flies away from the affected area... great if you have big problems with flies everywhere, and to make things better laying eggs in the wounds.
Bag Balm :) My dad says bag balm fixes everything. I'm beginning to believe him!
corona is good for small abrasions, but also have a tub of vaseline around to keep cuts from chapping in the cold or keeping dirt out
i use furizone it works great!!
Tea Tree Oil, Furazone(sp?),Furall %26amp; Wounderdust. These are some of what I have.
I mainly use Corona oitment, it works great. But also some plain old neosporin for people's cuts works. If it is a fungusy calice try some Wonder Dust, I am pretty sure Dover sells it(can be used for regular cuts to but I find it works better for more infected or fungusy rubs).
Sudocrem


Great for everything, sticks really well and is waterproof.


Buy it from the chemists.














Edit:: just look at all the thumbs down !


Merry Christmas !
I agree with the above, Corona. Only once we had a very big misconception, I asked my father to get me the corona for my horses foot so he comes out with a bottle of corona. (This was at a fair, so he actually went into it and bought the beer.)





But apart from Corona, I like to have a bit of Furozone on hand.
sudacrem, you can get it from any pharamasist and it is water proof so will not wash off in the rain, it also soothes irritated or raw skin. good luck!
Horseman's Dream Vet cream is simple, yet effective for little scrapes, cuts, and bed sores...tried and true
Bag Balm, it is good for people, cows and horses.
I keep a wide variety of supplies on hand ';just in case';, but more often than not I'll use either Nolvasan ointment (first choice) or nitrofurazone. If it's something that I want to draw, I'll use ichthamol, but that's some nasty stinky stuff for sure. But it does serve it's purpose.
I've never heard of Corona. Here in Australia, Pottie's White Ointment is pretty ubiquitous. You put it on quite thickly once or twice a day. It's mainly zinc, which helps cover the cut and heal it faster when it covers the wound completely, it keeps flies from getting into it, and the zinc is a great sunscreen too! I use it on my horse's muzzle on his blaze.
I use Swat Fly Repellent Ointment but i like Corona also.
i use tea trea oil. it is herbal and helps the fur to regrown itn the are a faster.
Corona


http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp鈥?/a>


(you can get it in smaller tubes too)
Corona

No comments:

Post a Comment