Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Can soft cream cheese be substituted for regular cream cheese in a cheesecake recipe?

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 pounds. It was bought in error and I know there is more air in the soft. I'm not quite sure what the effect would be.Can soft cream cheese be substituted for regular cream cheese in a cheesecake recipe?
By soft I assume you mean whipped, and I would not trust it, unless you are able to experiment. If this is for a holiday cake, I'd go back and buy the regular bar cream cheese. The whipped kind has lots of air in it, and when making a cheesecake, one of the #1 rules is ';dont over mix or you'll add too much air to the mix.'; So, starting with lots of air doesn't sound right.





I'd use the other cream cheese in mac%26amp;cheese, or alfredo sauce, or in turkey roll ups, or beef and green onion roll ups, or on banana bread, or on bagels, etc.





Can soft cream cheese be substituted for regular cream cheese in a cheesecake recipe?
It might not turn out as light and fluffy as it would with the soft but I don't think it would make too big of a difference.
probably just a lighter cake, but there might be added water in soft as well. I, myself, wouldn't trust the substitution.
  • microsoft project
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment